Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Beef Pastrami Next Steps

Over the weekend I finished up the Pastrami.  I'll post this in two steps because it ends up being quite a bit of work.

First I pulled the tongues out of the brine. One of the tongues (the smallest one) didn't feel like it had been fully cured, but I moved ahead anyways due to limited time before the holidays.

After washing the excess salt off of the tongues, I put them in pots to boil with spices: carrots, onions, a couple of cloves, and bay leaves.  Boiling the tongues gives you a head start on the cooking process, and breaks down some of the tough sinew parts of the tongue.  It also allows for easier peeling of the tongue (a delightful process indeed).

I boiled the tongues for about three hours on the stove.  At this point the house smelled great, very beefy with the cloves and onions providing a nice background.

Now for the most "pleasant part."  After the tongues had cooled, I have to "peel the tongues."  The process is just removing the outer tough layer of skin on top, and generally can be done by hand.. it's just a little creepy.  This layer is tough, not really edible, and would likely just prevent smoke from penetrating the tongues properly.

My wife took some great pictures of the process:









No comments:

Post a Comment