Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Beef by the fractional cow

Worst thing about this food-stamp experiment week so far?

Sitting in my freezer is 200 pounds (1/4 of a steer) of beef I acquired over the weekend.  I had one steak from it.  The rest of my quarter will sit for at least seven days before I can eat it.

Eventually,  I should calculate whether it would make sense to allow food stamp recipients to float dollars month-to-month so that they can save and make these types of bulk purchases.  Of course that game comes with other requirements (primarily planning and freezer space) but it is an effective way to acquire food cheaply.

Oh, and also in our freezer.  Five beef tongues.  Five.  Tongues.  After the food stamp thing is over I'll post on this blog my recipe for beef tongue pastrami.

5 cow tongues, soon to be pastrami

See.. the worst thing about cow tongue, is that you have to peel the taste buds off before eating...

No comments:

Post a Comment