Friday, November 22, 2013

Day Three Summary... eating healthier?

Day three and I'm starting to get in a rhythm with structured eating.  First my meals:

  1. Breakfast: Rice and ham
  2. Lunch: Sweet potato chips, carrots, rice, chicken
  3. Dinner: Soup, ham and rice, the rest of the sweet potato chips

My famous "ham and rice"



So, the sweet potato chips went really fast.  I had started with three pounds of sweet potatoes, and went through that in basically two days. Tonight I'll head over to Aldi for some more vegetables... maybe even some bananas?

Luckily, both the ham and rice, and the chicken taste really good.  Though I'm starting to crave sweet things.  To be honest, the most difficult part of this is *knowing* that I have plenty of money, and knowing that I could go get a candy bar anytime I want.  So it's all about simulating "poverty" through suppression of urges.. at this point at least.   Oh yeah, and that 200lbs of beef in the freezer.

There are apparently quite a few people doing the SNAPChallenge nationwide (SNAP is what food stamps are called now.. stands for SUPPLEMENTAL Nutrition Assistance Program).  So I've found quite a bit to read on it recently (some locals in my community are doing it, their comments found here)

The arguments I've found that annoy me the most show a poor understanding of economics.  Specifically, comments like "I can't imagine feeding a whole family on this kind of budget."  I'll probably write an entire post on this, because I can put together some easy efficiency equations on it, but feeding an entire family on $30/person/week actually becomes more efficient as you add members.

A few simple to understand reasons for this
  1. More members = more opportunity to buy in bulk, bulk purchasing cheaper.
  2. More budget = more purchasing = more variety, without additional cost.
This challenge would be much easier if my wife would have done it with me (though I don't blame her for not participating in my craziness).  I could have used her $30 to simultaneously buy larger portions at cheaper price per unit AND buy more variety in what I bought, and then splitting the dietary variation between the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment