Friday, November 22, 2013

On being resourceful... ie my biggest regret

My biggest regret so far is the promise to my wife not to kill anything for food (I have no doubt she was right to make this request, it would just.. be easier if I could).

A couple of days ago I took a walk over my lunch hour by a stream near my building.  On the walk, I saw a few edible things I could have picked up, notably some freshwater mussels (ok those are actually gross) and some wild growing walnuts. 

If I could forage for food this whole thing wouldn't be difficult at all. In fact, it would have been much easier to do this in summer when my vegetable garden was growing.  It's interesting to consider what degree people in poverty could have access to these high quality food sources. 

For a few years I lived in north east Wichita, and can remember seeing people, quite obviously in poverty, fishing in area ponds and lakes.   Were they actually supplementing their diet this way, or was it just a cheap form of recreation?

 I didn't pick up any walnuts.  Nor dig out any fresh water mussels.  I'll do this the "expensive" way and buy my food. Time for lunch, ramen it is again... but I could be eating walnuts and fish, for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment