Monday, November 18, 2013

Third shopping trip and a plumbing problem

With about $7 dollars left, I thought I'd head back over to Aldi to spend a bit more, increase variety and maybe buy some spices.

But there was a problem at home.. specifically a clogged drain meant I couldn't really cook without flooding the house.

So I considered this the opportunity to attack the kind of issues that food stamp participants deal with quite often: eating cheaply in the face of adversity.

I could get the plumbing issue solved on Monday, but I wouldn't be able to pre-cook meals over the weekend.  I already cooked the ham, and cut it down into pieces, but I needed a strategy for Monday.

I remembered college cheapness.  One of my favorite meals in college was to take cheap meat (generally precooked deli chicken strips from Dillons) and put it on top of a bed of ramen noodles.  It was easily prepared in a dorm room without any actual cooking supplies-which meant I could easily do the same thing with ham at work tomorrow.

So my first goal at Aldi was cheap Ramen.  Found a 12 pack of the dry stuff for $2.

My meals for the week looked fairly bland at this point, I bought a bottle of chili powder for $1 to spice things up a little.

Finally I picked up some baby carrots (Veggies!!!!).

Here's another picture of some of my recent takes... 


Hey how'd that 12 pack of PBR get in there?  I live in Lawrence, KS (#lfk), it's a necessity.  

 And another receipt:


I have a little over $3 left for the week after spending $26.78 over the first three shopping trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment